Let’s talk cravings!
We’re all human and we all have them – yes, even me! What ever journey you are on here, just remember to aim for progress over perfection every time. You’re not bad if you have cravings, and neither are you terrible if you give in to them now and then … it’s all in how you recover from it. One of my favourite sayings is that if you get a puncture in one tyre you don’t slash the other three do you? No – you fix that one and then move on.
So what do you do when you get a craving? Here’s my top 5 tips to help you along the way:
- Remove the temptation!!! If you have chocolate biscuits or ice cream (or insert your vice here) in your house of course you’re going to hear them calling your name!! If it ain’t in the house you can’t eat it!
- Manage your stress levels and get enough sleep. When you’re tired, cranky and frazzled you’re more likely to reach for a salty or sugary snack
- Go for a walk! Take your mind completely off snacking and do something else – get out of the house, play with your dog, walk around the block, just do something that isn’t sitting on the couch watching telly (a known snaccident zone!)
- Drink water – staying hydrated is always important, and if you’re lacking a little this might present itself as hunger. A nice glass of cool water with some lemon or lime squeezed in to it helps crush the cravings
- Find an alternative. If you’re fanging for something sweet spread a ryvita cracker with a little ricotta cheese and drizzle a small amount of honey on top.
- If it’s a savoury snack you’re after then 30g of nuts are your best friend. Just don’t over do it.
When ever you give in to a craving you increase it’s power, however every time you get past it you just make it’s hold on you weaker.